Become our first REAL employee! Send an email to email@example.com to request an application.
Job title: Kitchen assistant
Job status: Part time
Job classification: Non-exempt/hourly
Working hours: 10 to 15 hours/week, schedule to be determined
About Duluth Preserving Company (DPC)
Jam making is our craft; bold fruit and spice combinations characterize our brand. We choose the best fruits possible, purchasing regional, wild, and organic fruits at every opportunity. We have been making jam professionally since 2013. Our business includes over 20 wholesale customers, and we sell at six to ten major retail events each year. We build community around jams, donating them to fundraisers for organizations that house, feed, and educate our neighbors.
The kitchen assistant is responsible for assisting in the daily tasks involved in prepping, making, storing, and shipping jam.
- Ability to work independently and jointly in a busy commercial kitchen environment
- Ability to work safely and efficiently and keep work spaces clean to commercial kitchen standards
- ServSafe certification or other required training courses
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend work on a timely and regular basis
- Prepare raw ingredients and set up batches of jam
- Assist in the canning process (wipe jar rims, cap jars)
- Clean kitchen work areas, equipment, and utensils to commercial kitchen standards
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and move jars, equipment, and ingredients between the kitchen and the storage area
- Label jars and package them for storage or shipping
- Ability to safely and proficiently use knives, graters, food processor, peeling machine and/or other equipment/utensils/tools used in jam prep and canning
- Assist with unloading pallets and moving jars and ingredients to storage area
- Ability to lift 30 pounds on a regular basis
Other duties may be assigned to this position periodically as required by DPC need.
The position includes lifting heavy objects on a regular basis, walking and standing for long periods of time, and performing physical labor required to prepare, can, store, and ship jam.
The setting for this position is a busy commercial kitchen. At times, the kitchen space is shared with other users; it may involve frequent interruptions. The general space may also be shared with other church users, including a preschool.
Responsibilities of All Employees
- Mission, Vision, and Values: Work cooperatively with all employees, kitchen/church space users, customers, and vendors to enhance our mission, vision and values. Support the DPC mission by exhibiting professionalism, integrity, and ethical behavior.
- Communication and Teamwork: Model DPC communication system through positive communication practices and teamwork. Follow DPC values in communicating with all employees, customers, and vendors.
- Policies and Procedures: Know and follow DPC policies and procedures. Report to your supervisor incongruences in practices and policies that serve to diminish the effectiveness of the procedures and are counterproductive to the mission.
- Positive Work Environment: Maintain positive attitudes and morale and develop positive co-worker relationships.
- Cost Controls: Use assets efficiently and effectively to accomplish DPC goals and mission.
- Cultural Competency and Inclusiveness: Display sensitivity and responsiveness to cultural and other differences among employees, customers, and vendors. Maintain a discrimination- and harassment-free environment.
- Self-Development: Improve and develop personal and professional potential. Assess personal strengths and areas for improvement. Maintain a regular and reliable level of attendance necessary to perform job responsibilities.
This job description is intended to represent the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this job. It is not meant to be an exhaustive or complete list of all responsibilities; it may be subject to revisions or exceptions at any time at the discretion of DPC.